Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lazarus Project

The Best 10 books of 2008? I can narrow it down to one:
Aleksander Hemon's Lazarus Project.
It was recently nominated for the National Book Award. And Amazon.com just sent me an email of the top ten books, with Lazarus Project at number 8. I also think it's going to be one of the New York Times top ten books of the year. Just a hunch. If I end up moving to Chicago someday, it will be to try and meet this guy. The two independent bookstores in my neighborhood had never heard of this book, and I had to place a special order. What's the point of an Independent bookstore, if it can't present the best stuff that may have be overlooked? (Also, neither bookstore has Flaubert's Salammbo, a stupid book I've been looking for since the middle of the summer.) No one needs to be reminded that Tom Friedman has a new book.
Anyway, Hemon's got a story in the September issue of the NYer.

No comments: