Thursday, July 26, 2007

This Could Be The Middle of Nowhere


This is a signature Minneapolis move. Obviously this used to be a fast food joint. Now it's Uptown's premier breakfast joint. There's a thai place down the street that's done the same thing. It's kind of ridiculous. But I like it. And isn't it cheaper to slap on a new coat of paint, block off the old drive-thru, and stick up a new sign then to tear the whole thing down and start over? Anyway, I'm not complaining. I've decided to appreciate Minneapolis's lack of refinement. It's like admitting that you prefer Aerosmith over the Rolling Stones. You understand that the Roling Stones have put out some rock n' roll masterpieces (every album, really, from '68 to '81), but you just find Permanent Vacation to be a really, really enjoyable record (this isn't a perfect analogy, but I'm going to stick with it). That's how I feel about Minneapolis. It's no masterpiece but I still like it. It's an enjoyable place to be. Right? Also, why aren't there any skyscrapers in Uptown?

No comments: